Timbuktu is a pre-made region available in SimCity 4. It is a starting region, and 5 tutorial cities are pre-built in the region to guide new players into learning the tools available. Tutorials include:
- Big City Tutorial
- Making Money Tutorial
- Terraforming Tutorial
- Getting Started Tutorial
- Rush Hour Tutorial
Mayors can choose to continue building these cities in addition to starting a new city on a blank tile. They can also delete tutorial cities and use those plots to build their own cities.
- The region first appeared in the vanilla SimCity 4 under the name Maxisland. The name seems to imply this is an original creation.
- The region is renamed Timbuktu in Rush Hour, which happens to be a real life location in the West African nation Mali. However, the region bears no resemblance to the actual Timbuktu.
- In the vanilla SimCity 4, Maxisland only contains two tutorial cities: Mayor Tutorial and Terraforming Tutorial.
- Even with the 'Show City Name' option unchecked, the tutorial city names will still appear.
- Along with London and Berlin, it is one of the only regions with pre-built cities incorporated in the region.
- Although it serves as a tutorial region, gameplay does not differ from other regions, and tutorial cities can be skipped.
- Unlike many other regions, the Timbuktu region does not contain any large plots; only medium-sized and small-sized city plots can be found there.